It has been rightly said that the end may not always justify the means. Behind the façade of ‘welcoming’ new students to college, ragging, in actuality, is a notorious practice wherein the senior students get an excuse to harass their junior counterparts, and more often than not, make them easy targets to satiate their own perverse sadistic pleasures.
The Honorable Supreme Court of India perhaps has given a more comprehensive meaning of ragging as under: "Ragging is any disorderly conduct, whether by words spoken or written, or by an act which has the effect of teasing, treating or handling with rudeness any student, indulging in rowdy or undisciplined activities which cause or are likely to cause annoyance, hardship or psychological harm or to raise fear or apprehension thereof in a fresher or a junior student and which has the effect of causing or generating a sense of shame or embarrassment so as to adversely affect the psyche of a fresher or a junior student.
Role & Responsibilities:
In this institute, our aim is “To create and maintain ragging free environment through continuous awareness drive and all round monitoring”. Few of the functions are mentioned as below:
- To uphold and comply with the directions of the Honorable Supreme Court and be vigilant on any acts amounting to ragging;
- To publicize to all students about the prevalent directives and the actions that can be taken against those indulging in ragging;
- To consider the complaints received from the students and conduct enquiry and submit report to the Anti- Ragging Committee along with punishment recommended for the offenders;
- Oversee the procedure of obtaining undertaking from the students in accordance with the provisions;
- Conduct workshops against ragging menace and orient the students;
- To provide students the information pertaining to contact address and telephone numbers of the person(s) identified to receive complaints/distress calls;
- To offer services of counseling and create awareness to the students;
- To take all necessary measures for prevention of Ragging inside the Campus/ Hostels.
Steps taken to handle ragging cases:
At our institute, we believe in zero tolerance and thus witness very rare ragging cases. We have taken strict actions against such acts and thrived to maintain the same. Some of our measures taken are described below:
- In the Institute website, there is mention about a total ban on ragging in the college and if anyone found guilty is liable for appropriate punishment.
- The regulations, posters, banners are displayed in the hostel, college notice boards, and in prominent places throughout the institute premises.
- Along with the Anti-Ragging committee the anti-ragging squad has also been constituted and steps were taken to implement the anti-ragging Program.
- Continuous guidance and mentoring is provided to all the students in the mentor-mentee scheme.
- The Wardens for boys and girls students have been asked to monitor the students and their well-being constantly.
- Security has been strengthened
- Students are informed and sensitized on appropriate punishment as per the laws.
Apart from the above points, the procedure for handling issues of ragging or information on ragging can be received:
- Through the notified contact details of the Committee members, and national help-line number on ragging for necessary relief in terms of the provisions of the UGC Regulations.
- Through any other member of the Institute.
- From any external source.
- Anti-Ragging Policy